I had planned to start on Monday, but an unexpected Mother’s Day gift from my son (stomach virus) caused me to start a day late. While I felt bad taking time away from my students to work, I think they are strong and will not let it affect them.
Today was part 1 of the project: monoprints.
Several years ago at a conference at UT, I learned how to create monoprints using water and tempera paint. It was messy and tons of fun. At the time, we used the paper to make paper kimonos. Cute, but not really my thing. I have used the technique another time as a background to learn about symmetry using the Maori Moko Tattoos. I have since stopped that lesson, but I thought the monoprint technique was a great base for this artwork.
As I stated in part 1, I find that many people, myself included, have a hard time making those first marks on clean, pristine, white paper. So to help solve that issue and hopefully allow the kids to jump right in, we created monoprints.
Our “plates” for this were my tables. I covered three tables with water and 2 colors of tempera: blue/yellow, red/yellow, and red/blue.
Next the students would lay down their paper and pull their print.
Some of the kids liked the process and made several monoprints. Others were not into the mess or just didn’t want to make art today. But I am happy with the outcomes and I hope they all have a great base for their multimedia artwork.
Now, the worse part of this activity is the clean-up. I did have newspaper every where, but there were still a lot of dripping from walking the prints over to the counters. And, unless you ask the kids to help, no one will. They will all just sit and watch you clean and wipe up the floor on your hands and knees. I was disappointed that out of my 65 students, only 3 offered to help clean. I guess the brightside is it was cleaned to my standards.
Here are some of the fabulous results.
Pingback: Art 1 Final Project (Part 3: In Progress) | Art Class by Mrs. B
Pingback: Art 1 Final Project (Part 4: The Results) | Art Class by Mrs. B