Several years ago I made wooden cradles to hold my students’ rather large portfolios. I attended a session at the TAEA conference about building racks and the presenter gave us her plans. Well, they lasted me about 6 years, with some repairs here and there. Had I screwed them together instead of stapling them, they might still be around. Hindsight and all.
At the end of last year, I tossed all but one; I had built 7. This year I needed something new. I looked and I looked. I toyed with plastic drawer units which would require smaller portfolios. That saddened me, but I couldn’t think of much else. I tried to make something out of a window box planter liner and some wooden feet. It sucked.
Then it hit me in the car on the way to the aquarium. Wire storage racks and zipties. My daughter and I headed to Lowe’s (after looking at the fish at the aquarium of course.) They had 6′ lengths and I needed half that. Luckily they had bolt cutters there for that reason.
I ziptied the sides on first.
Then I cut the end of the ties
and tied the last piece down the middle.
I added the upper supports today when I put in some portfolios to check the strength.
As you can see, it will hold portfolios for 2 classes. I have 4 classes that need portfolios. So, I built 2 racks. I just need to cover the sharp tips and they are done.
I am quite pleased with my hack. And, it was relatively inexpensive.