Every year I do a unit based around copyright called “Artists Steal”. We learn about appropriation, fair use, parody, and copyright infringement. And, every year I do it the same way… Lengthy power point where I drone on and on about each “topic” with case studies for each. It takes the whole period, and I know that by the end, kids have just plain zoned out completely. After the Powerpoint, the kids do a challenge of an animated character remix and finish with their own artwork…following the rules of copyright infringement.
This year, I decided that I needed to change things up. First and foremost, I made the unit into a boot camp. It takes only a week. 2 days of learning about copyright. And 2-3 days for the character remix challenge.
On day one, I showed the video for David Bowie and Queen’s “Under Pressure“. Then we watched Vanilla Ice’s “Ice, Ice Baby” video. We ended the video fun with a short interview with Vanilla Ice from MTV. We briefly discussed how Vanilla Ice was in violation and I told them the outcome of the case–an out of court settlement of an undisclosed amount. That helped me to segway into the next portion of the boot camp–group work.
I told my students that copyright applied to visual arts as well, and that there were 4 topics we were going to learn about. I then divided the class into 4 group and assigned each group a topic–copyright, appropriation, fair use, and parody. Each group was given a laminated card with the textbook definition of their topic and a case study for that topic. The students were asked to put the definition into teenager vocabulary so the rest of the class would understand. Then they were to read about the case, and based on their topic, decide what the outcome of the case should be and why they felt that way.
The following day, each group presented their topic to the class. I read the textbook definition, then the group would translate that into teenager vocab. I projected the images for their case study. The students described the case to the class and told us their decision on what the outcome should be. The rest of the class then had the option to agree or disagree and give reasons why. Finally, I told them the real outcome.
After the students finish their character remix challenge, which they will do in their sketchbook and put a photo of on our class seesaw feed, we will discuss one more case before moving onto another artistic behavior unit….Banksy’s Dismaland.
I am really happy with how the boot camp went. I rather enjoyed not being the one to teach them. The students listened to each other, had opinions, and even changed opinions after hearing what others had to say. I think they learned more this way than when I would teach it all. I hope they use the information they gathered from this as we move forward with our art making this year.